Essence, Owned by Cosnova, is a German based cosmetic company who started their line in 2002 and soon distributed in 55 countries. The most popular in 10, being in Europe. It says to have expanded throughout North America, but i'd never heard of them until now, so I was excited to try them out! It's just now making headway into Canada as well.
I had the chance to try out a few things from Essence. Their website and playful colors really drew me in. I told the PR that I had fair skin, dark hair, and blue eyes and I wanted something that would complement the combination.
- Kajal Eyeliner pencil in "Feel the eclipse" 99¢- I have to admit that I struggled a little with the application. This pencil did not permit a clean line, and i had to go over my eyes at least 4 times, before i got full coverage. Maybe using a primer beforehand would help, and i will definitely try that next time. I was trying to make a thin to medium line, but the point was too soft and big to achieve that. I angled it in a way that helped, but i still had to use baby wipes to wipe off excess, in order to achieve a nice straight line. Otherwise, the color is gorgeous and if you want a very thick line, this would be perfect for you.
- XXXL Shine Lip gloss in "Nude Candy" $1.99- This color seemed like it would wash out my face, but it didn't turn out that way. It's a very pretty pink nude. It was a bit sticky for my taste, but it did have a nice scent.
- An Eyeshadow Compact from their "Sun Club" collection in "Long Beach" $3.49- I chose colors in the pink and light brown family to match my lips.
This look is reminiscent of MOD makeup from the 60's, only toned down from the thick winged eyeliner, and exaggerated lower and upper lashes. The pale lips and dark eyeliner are the main factors. I really should have gone all out and dramatic. Maybe i'll do a tutorial for a mod look, when I get better acquainted with application, and find some nice falsies.
At first, I wasn't sure about the colors they sent me. They seemed to be too light for my skin tone. I thought they'd wash me out, but once I used the midnight colored eyeliner and my black mascara, it all came into place. The contrast is lovely.
I chose purple, but i think you would have known that prior to seeing the pic ;)
Take a look at Essence and have fun playing around in their virtual playground.
What I love about Essence
- No animal testing
- Very affordable
- A wide variety of color
- They provide all their ingredients in pdf format at: http://www.essence.eu/us/usa/products/ingredients.html
- Essence states that they value quality over advertising
^^ It's nice to hear that a makeup company concentrates more on quality than production costs.
Overall, I find Essence is priced very low, and delivers some nicely pigmented shadows, lovely (but sticky) lip gloss, and average pencil eyeliner. It reminds me of the improved Wet N' Wild, another place that delivers surprisingly good things. For the price, I think it is well worth it. I give these products from Essence 4 stars! Would love to try a lot more!
You can find Essence in the following stores across North America: ULTA, HEB, and FRED MEYER.
Like their Facebook to be informed of their latest promotions and products, and you can also follow them on Twitter